by Guest Contributor, Joannie Lenz, Reiki Practitioner at “It Just Is”, Reiki
We’ve all heard that “Laughter is the best medicine”, so why don’t we do more of it? The next time you make someone giggle, notice the joy it brings to YOUR heart. Humor and laughter strengthen your immune system, boost your energy, diminish pain, and protect you from the damaging effects of stress.
Laughter is good for your health
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
Creating opportunities to laugh
- Watch a funny movie or TV show.
- Go to a comedy club.
- Read the funny pages.
- Seek out funny people.
- Share a good joke or a funny story.
- Check out your bookstore’s humor section.
- Host game night with friends.
- Play with a pet.
- Go to a “laughter yoga” class.
- Goof around with children.
- Do something silly.
- Make time for fun activities (e.g. bowling, miniature golfing, karaoke).
Make someone laugh today! It’s fun, it’s healthy and it’s FREE!
What’s your favorite Knock, Knock Joke?
Cows go who?
No, cows go moo!
Bless you and please cover your mouth next time.
Don’t cry, it’s just a joke.
Mikey doesn’t fit in the keyhole!